You can book? Surely not, right? No one takes reservations anymore. ESPECIALLY for brunch. Alright then, if you say so – see you tomorrow at 10.45 – “Isn’t that still breakfast time?” (Flatmate M). And just like that, the wait for a table was gone. Five of us rocked up to the lovely Salon in Brixton’s Market Row on a Saturday morning for a spot of brunch ahead of an afternoon at Beavertown Brewery’s birthday party – Flickr photos here.
In the evenings (Tue-Sat), Salon has a serious set menu to get stuck in to (£33/head at the time of writing) . The most recent list I saw had such delights as burata with blood orange, bitter leaves and hazelnuts and scallop with ‘nduja, burnt apple, and grilled leek. Seasonal and inventive is their thing, and this also applies to their wonderful, affordable brunch menu.
Here’s what you should look out for:
– Warm banana bread, hazelnut ganache – £3.50
– Smashed avo on toast, super seeds & pickled chilli with smoked pig’s cheek lardons – £6.50
– Scrambled eggs & ‘nduja on toast – £6.50
– Roast mushrooms, pickled shallots & cow’s curd on toast – £7.50
– Three cheese cornbread, shredded ham hock, chipotlé slaw, poached duck egg – £9
If you ask nicely, they might just bring you some of their rather excellent sourdough doughnuts too…